Social media marketing is only one of the many tools available to you to promote your travel business, but unlike more traditional tools such as ads, social media gives you the opportunity to actively engage your audience in a conversation that will (hopefully) lead to promotion of your business. But it doesn’t happen without some work.
I feel there are 8 “must-do” tips to better engagement. Consider these 8 steps and see the results for yourself:
- Add “Share” Buttons – Social share buttons are an easy way to share interesting content on social media channels. Add these buttons to your website and ask people to share the content if they found it helpful. Consider multiple locations—top and bottom of content.
- Add “Follow” Buttons –Follow buttons lead visitors directly to your social media channels from your website. Asking people to “Like” your Facebook page or follow you on Twitter are quick and easy ways to grow those social channels.
- Include CTAs – Include a Call to Action on all your content (if relevant); ask people to share the article, to leave a comment, to visit your Facebook page, etc. The easiest way to get more engagement is to simply ask for it.
- Update Content Regularly – Give people a reason to come back to your site and stay relevant on Google by adding new content to your site regularly. Also, show links to related articles and tag content with relevant keywords, so it’s easy to find more content about the same topic.
- Be Helpful – Don’t consistently show the latest travel offers; instead, provide visitors with interesting, fun and useful destination information.
- Add (High Quality) Pictures – Make it appealing for people to share your content by adding high-quality pictures, which is especially important when sharing content on Pinterest.
- Optimize for Mobile – More and more people are accessing their favorite online places with their mobile phone, so make sure your site displays properly on mobile as well. It will make it easier to stay on your site when coming from social media, or to read and share content.
- Set up Google Analytics – Although this will not help your visitors directly, Google Analytics can show you how people behave on your site, where they drop off, and even what kind of information they search for if you have a search form on your site. Use this information to make navigating your website easier and highlight content people like.
What kind of changes have you made to your website to increase social media engagement?